Yoga is not physical poses. Yoga is a life philosophy.
Yoga means, ‘union’, integration’, ‘one-ness’. It is a path to see the universal connectedness we all have.
Sage Patanjali who codified the yoga principles, explains this in eight steps, known as Ashtanga Yoga (ashta – 8, anga – parts)
- Yama – Moral rules
- Niyama – ‘To -do’s
- Asana – Physical postures
- Pranayama – Breath Control
- Pratyahara – Tuning internally
- Dharana – Concentration on an object
- Dhyana – Extended concentration on one object (meditation)
- Samadhi – Final stage of yoga, where you realize that there is no difference between ‘subject’, ‘object’ and ‘process’
Stay tuned for more details!